- Multi-track audio editor and recorder
- Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux
- Free / GNU General Public License (GPL)
- You can record sounds, play sounds, import and export WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files, and more. Use it to edit your sounds using Cut, Copy and Paste (with unlimited Undo), mix tracks together, or apply effects to your recordings. It also has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications. Built-in effects include Bass Boost, Wahwah, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST plug-in effects.
- Music manager (iTunes alternative)
- Free and pay versions
- Catalogs CDs, AAC, OGG, WMA, FLAC, MP3 and other audio files, including contemporary and classical music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc. It offers multiple tools for looking up and editing tags, and an automated library organizer to organize files on the hard drive. It includes a CD ripper, CD/DVD Burner, and audio converter for saving music, and advanced playlisting for creating music mixes. Its player automatically adjusts volume levels and supports a Party mode that locks the UI for use at public events. It syncs tracks, playlists, and podcasts to portable audio devices such as iPhones, iPods, iPads, MP3 Phones, and other devices, and supports hundreds of scripts, plug-ins and visualizations to extend its functionality further.
- Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition, and image authoring. It is a powerful piece of software with capabilities not found in any other free software product. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert-quality photo-retouching program, an online batch-processing system, a mass production image renderer, or an image-format converter. GIMP is modular, expandable, and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image-manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
- Inkscape is a professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open source. It also includes PDF editing functions that most dedicated PDF editors only support in their paid editions.
- Yandex search engine can be used to do a reverse image search by clicking on the camera icon.
- Disc burning tool
- Free and pay versions
- Burns all types of CD, DVD and Blu-Ray discs containing data, digital photos, music and video. With BurnAware Free, you will be able to create bootable or multisession CDs and DVDs, high-quality audio CDs, make and burn disc images, copy and backup discs.
- A HDD/SSD utility software which supports a part of USB, Intel RAID and NVMe.
- Karen's Directory Printer
- Directory listing to file
- Karen's Directory Printer can print the name of every file on a drive, along with the file's size, date and time of last modification, and attributes (Read-Only, Hidden, System and Archive)! The list of files can be sorted by name, size, date created, date last modified, or date of last access.
- MiniTool Partition Wizard Free
- Partition editor
- Be careful during install. It tries to install additional software.
- Hardware Emulator
- Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Lets you easily share your mouse and keyboard between multiple computers on your desk, and it's Free and Open Source. Just move your mouse off the edge of one computer's screen on to another. You can even share all of your clipboards. All you need is a network connection.
- Helps recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
Trojans, Viruses, and Worms
Let's face it. If you use Microsoft products, then you will have to deal with trojans, viruses, and worms. Microsoft defenders state every operating system has them, which is true. However, the risk on a Linux operating system is relatively low. Linux has 863 threats as of Jan 1, 2006. Whereas Windows had 11,000 in the second half of 2005 alone.
- ActiveX exploit
- Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is blazing fast, free to use, and loaded only with the bare-bones protection features that every computer needs.
- F-Prot - virus program
- Housecall can quickly identify and fix a wide range of threats including viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware.
- Linux malware
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (windows only) is a high performance anti-malware application that thoroughly removes even the most advanced malware and spyware. With one of the fastest, most effective quick scans and malware removal capabilities on the market, this program is the perfect addition to your PC's defenses. The full version of the product includes a number of key features, including the ability to schedule updates and scans and most importantly, a real-time malware protection module that blocks malicious processes before they even start.
- Ubuntu Information