- Multi-track audio editor and recorder
- Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux
- Free / GNU General Public License (GPL)
- You can record sounds, play sounds, import and export WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files, and more. Use it to edit your sounds using Cut, Copy and Paste (with unlimited Undo), mix tracks together, or apply effects to your recordings. It also has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications. Built-in effects include Bass Boost, Wahwah, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST plug-in effects.
- Music manager (iTunes alternative)
- Free and pay versions
- Catalogs CDs, AAC, OGG, WMA, FLAC, MP3 and other audio files, including contemporary and classical music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc. It offers multiple tools for looking up and editing tags, and an automated library organizer to organize files on the hard drive. It includes a CD ripper, CD/DVD Burner, and audio converter for saving music, and advanced playlisting for creating music mixes. Its player automatically adjusts volume levels and supports a Party mode that locks the UI for use at public events. It syncs tracks, playlists, and podcasts to portable audio devices such as iPhones, iPods, iPads, MP3 Phones, and other devices, and supports hundreds of scripts, plug-ins and visualizations to extend its functionality further.
- Plug ins
- Web Developer works when <ctrl> + u fails.
- Tor Browser
- ChangeiP Free Dynamic DNS delivers the essentials DNS features including a free to use subdomain, unlimited URL redirections, and complete port redirection capabilities.
- D-Link - dynamic DNS host name for your D-Link router
- DNSdynamic is free, secure, unlimited dynamic DNS (DDNS), and free VPN to our users.
- My DDNS is a free solution I developed.
- no-ip allows remote access your computer, DVR, webcam, security camera or any internet connected device easily. Dynamic DNS points an easy to remember hostname to your dynamic IP address.
- Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition, and image authoring. It is a powerful piece of software with capabilities not found in any other free software product. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert-quality photo-retouching program, an online batch-processing system, a mass production image renderer, or an image-format converter. GIMP is modular, expandable, and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image-manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
- Inkscape is a professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open source. It also includes PDF editing functions that most dedicated PDF editors only support in their paid editions.
- Internet Movie Database - Very useful for content. Easy to go many links deep. Do not trust the ratings, though.
- Rotten Tomatoes - Information about movies. Very useful for Audience ratings. Ignore the critics.
- Wikipedia - Probably 99 percent accurate. They do remove facts that may be considered offensive and rely heavily on others stating the truth.
- Packet Editor (windows only) is an application designed in order to allow users to monitor and manipulate network events, network traffic and DNS to and from a target application. By constructing custom filters it allows users to control data before it is sent or received by the target. Its easy to use graphical user interface allows even inexperienced users the ability to debug their solutions with minimal effort and knowledge.
- RTMPDump is a toolkit for RTMP streams. All forms of RTMP are supported, including rtmp://, rtmpt://, rtmpe://, rtmpte://, and rtmps://.
- rtmpGUI (windows only) - A graphical frontend and database for rtmpdump.
- File Sharing
- Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Tonido Server allows you to access all your files on your computer from a web browser, smartphone, tablet or even DLNA enabled devices.
- block sharing wi-fi info
- Wifi Analyzer
- check strength and channel of all signals
- WiFi Tether w/o Root
- SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and SCP (Secure Copy) client for Windows using SSH (Secure Shell). Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this basic function, WinSCP manages some other actions with files.
- Wireshark is a network protocol analyzer, and is the standard in many industries. It is the continuation of a project that started in 1998. Hundreds of developers around the world have contributed to it, and it is still under active development. Read or write many different capture file formats: tcpdump (libpcap), Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, NAI Sniffer (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer Pro, and NetXray, Network Instruments Observer, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN or LAN Analyzer, Shomiti or Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, Visual Networks Visual UpTime, and WildPackets EtherPeek,TokenPeek, or AiroPeek.
- Disc burning tool
- Free and pay versions
- Burns all types of CD, DVD and Blu-Ray discs containing data, digital photos, music and video. With BurnAware Free, you will be able to create bootable or multisession CDs and DVDs, high-quality audio CDs, make and burn disc images, copy and backup discs.
- Hardware Emulator
- Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Lets you easily share your mouse and keyboard between multiple computers on your desk, and it's Free and Open Source. Just move your mouse off the edge of one computer's screen on to another. You can even share all of your clipboards. All you need is a network connection.
- Helps recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
- DVD Shrink
- DVD ripper
- Can backup all your favorite DVDs directly on your hard drive easily and quickly. DVDShrink is a powerful software that works in conjunction with other DVD software to make backups and burn any DVD. DVDShrink enables you to compress DVDs while preserving existing DVD contents including menus, trailers, and subtitles, or choose to edit or remove those features completely. This software also supports multi-session DVD/CDs. With its great compression capabilities, it is enhanced with more shrinking capacity and additional features that makes DVDShrink easy to use and saves you time and money. Re-authoring helps you save so you do not have to repurchase scratched or damaged DVDs that you enjoy watching.
- Can I Stream.it
- Type in a movie title and it tells you which online providers have it available.
- Cinavia detector
- Codec detector
- A codec information appliance establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file. Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system. Isolates problems associated with these codecs. Simple operation - Basic use: "File > Open", then read results. Identifies download induced problems (truncated files, "cooked" files, etc.) Shows framerate, duration, aspect ratio, bitrates, AVI structure info, and more. Displays and allows editing of RIFF info (title, etc); displays "hidden" ASCII info. Drag and Drop and "Send To" support, multi-file (batch) processing support Copy/Paste or text export GSpot information - format is user configurable. Built-in database of 350 video and 150 audio codec types Advanced UI including "dual-mode" and hyperlinked "persistent" tool tips Full support for OGG media files as well as AVI stream formats Identification (only) of non-AVI files (.mpg, .mov, .qt, .rm, .swf, .wmv, .asf, etc.) Supports VFW, ACM, DirectShow and DMO codec types (audio and video).
- AVI repair tool
- Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Repairs broken AVI file streams by rebuilding index part of file. This is very useful when trying to preview movies which has no index.
- ImgBurn (windows only) is a lightweight CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray burning application that has several modes, each for performing a different task: Read - read a disc to an image file; Build - creates an image file from files on your computer or network (you also can write the files directly to a disc); Write - write an image file to a disc; Verify - ensure that a disc is 100% readable (you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct); and Discovery - used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing.
- MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
- MKVToolNix is a set of tools to create, alter and inspect Matroska files under Linux, other Unices and Windows
- VirtualDub (windows only) is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms (98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
- VirtualDub Filters (windows only)
- VLC Media Player (initially VideoLAN Client)
- Video playback tool and streamer
- Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
- Windows Media Center
- Watch DVDs and TV
- Windows 7 and 8.1
Okay, you saw a cool video on the internet and you would like a local copy. Google will be charging soon for Youtube. So you may want to start collecting your favorite videos.
- OBS Studio is a free and open source software for video recording and live streaming.
- clipload.net - Free YouTube Converter
- Online Video Converter is a free online media conversion web application that allows you to convert any video link or file to various formats without the need to install any software on your computer.
- savefrom.net converts YouTube videos into mp4s (video)
- SnipMP3 converts YouTube videos into mp3s (audio only)
- y2mate.com allows you to download Video and Audio from YouTube
- YooDownload - Online Video Downloader
- Youtube Multi Downloader Online converts You Tube videos into mp4s
Trojans, Viruses, and Worms
Let's face it. If you use Microsoft products, then you will have to deal with trojans, viruses, and worms. Microsoft defenders state every operating system has them, which is true. However, the risk on a Linux operating system is relatively low. Linux has 863 threats as of Jan 1, 2006. Whereas Windows had 11,000 in the second half of 2005 alone.
- ActiveX exploit
- F-Prot - virus program
- Housecall can quickly identify and fix a wide range of threats including viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware.
- Linux malware
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (windows only) is a high performance anti-malware application that thoroughly removes even the most advanced malware and spyware. With one of the fastest, most effective quick scans and malware removal capabilities on the market, this program is the perfect addition to your PC's defenses. The full version of the product includes a number of key features, including the ability to schedule updates and scans and most importantly, a real-time malware protection module that blocks malicious processes before they even start.
- Ubuntu Information