A firewall is a network security device or application that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and decides whether to allow or block specific traffic based on a defined set of security rules.
- Agnitum Firewall - not free firewall, if using Windows
- My Firewall Rules - for those who know what they are doing
- Zone Alarm - free firewall for Windows OS
- The Best Firewall/Router for a Small Business - Forget the seller, read the section labeled "Feature set".
- Firewall As A Service And Your Biggest Network Security Challenge - Forget the seller, read the section labeled "What to Look for in FWaaS".
- Admin - things you should know if you want to be an admin
- BotScout - Keeps tracks of bots for you
- GeoBytes IP Address Locator - online ip to location
- Port Assignments
- Tcpdump Tutorial and Primer
- Wireshark - network packet capture
A protocol is a set of rules and guidelines for communicating data. Rules are defined for each step and process during communication between two or more computers. Networks have to follow these rules to successfully transmit data.
- Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS)
- Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)
- Internet Protocol version 4 (IP)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
- Network File System (NFS)
- Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Post Office Protocol (POP)
- Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3)
- Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP)
- Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP)
- Secure Shell (SSH)
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
A proxy server is a server that acts as a middleman in the flow of your internet traffic, so that your internet activities appear to come from somewhere else. The traffic usually is not encrypted and for web surfing only. Excellent if you want to share the Bible to China or need to visit websites restricted by your work or school.
- Free Proxy Lists
- Hide My Ass
- How to Configure a Proxy Server in Firefox
- How To Route Web Traffic Securely Without a VPN Using a SOCKS Tunnel
- Proxy 4 Free
- Asus RT-N66U
- Linksys WRT54G series
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
A VPN is a server that acts as a middleman in the flow of your internet traffic, so that your internet activities appear to come from somewhere else. The traffic is encrypted and for all services. Excellent if you want to ensure nobody is snooping the traffic between your device and the remote site, assuming you are not on wireless.