- GeoBytes IP Address Locator - online ip to location
- MAC address vendor lookups
- Nmap is a free and open source (license) utility for network discovery and security auditing. Many systems and network administrators also find it useful for tasks such as network inventory, managing service upgrade schedules, and monitoring host or service uptime.
- Open Port Check Tool - online
- Packet Editor (windows only) is an application designed in order to allow users to monitor and manipulate network events, network traffic and DNS to and from a target application. By constructing custom filters it allows users to control data before it is sent or received by the target. Its easy to use graphical user interface allows even inexperienced users the ability to debug their solutions with minimal effort and knowledge.
- RTMPDump is a toolkit for RTMP streams. All forms of RTMP are supported, including rtmp://, rtmpt://, rtmpe://, rtmpte://, and rtmps://.
- rtmpGUI (windows only) - A graphical frontend and database for rtmpdump.
- TightVNC - is a free remote control software package. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer.
- File Sharing
- Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Tonido Server allows you to access all your files on your computer from a web browser, smartphone, tablet or even DLNA enabled devices.
- Wi-Fi a.k.a. IEEE 802.11
- SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and SCP (Secure Copy) client for Windows using SSH (Secure Shell). Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this basic function, WinSCP manages some other actions with files.
- Wireshark is a network protocol analyzer, and is the standard in many industries. It is the continuation of a project that started in 1998. Hundreds of developers around the world have contributed to it, and it is still under active development. Read or write many different capture file formats: tcpdump (libpcap), Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, NAI Sniffer (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer Pro, and NetXray, Network Instruments Observer, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN or LAN Analyzer, Shomiti or Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, Visual Networks Visual UpTime, and WildPackets EtherPeek,TokenPeek, or AiroPeek.
A firewall is a network security device or application that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and decides whether to allow or block specific traffic based on a defined set of security rules.
- Agnitum Firewall - not free firewall, if using Windows
- My Firewall Rules - for those who know what they are doing
- Zone Alarm - free firewall for Windows OS
- The Best Firewall/Router for a Small Business - Forget the seller, read the section labeled "Feature set".
- Firewall As A Service And Your Biggest Network Security Challenge - Forget the seller, read the section labeled "What to Look for in FWaaS".
- Admin - things you should know if you want to be an admin
- BotScout - Keeps tracks of bots for you
- Port Assignments
- Tcpdump Tutorial and Primer
(Open Systems Interconnection) OSI Model
Note: DOD4 and TCP/IP models are the same. It is just two different names.
A proxy server is a server that acts as a middleman in the flow of your internet traffic, so that your internet activities appear to come from somewhere else. The traffic usually is not encrypted and for web surfing only. Excellent if you want to share the Bible to China or need to visit websites restricted by your work or school.
- Free Proxy Lists
- Hide My Ass
- How to Configure a Proxy Server in Firefox
- How To Route Web Traffic Securely Without a VPN Using a SOCKS Tunnel
- Proxy 4 Free
- Asus RT-N66U
- Linksys WRT54G series
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
A VPN is a server that acts as a middleman in the flow of your internet traffic, so that your internet activities appear to come from somewhere else. The traffic is encrypted and for all services. Excellent if you want to ensure nobody is snooping the traffic between your device and the remote site, assuming you are not on wireless.